Current food issues
Genetically engineered food (called GE, GMO, transgenic, or biotech), patenting of seeds and living organisms, food safety, hunger, cloning, NAIS, industrial waste used in fertilizer, nanotechnology, current and pending legislation and more. A PDF version of this page is available here.
To learn more, please visit the following websites
- http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/ – information on current and pending legislation, public comment periods, and petitions to submit on-line regarding GMO’s, nanotechnology, etc. Note the “Urgent Actions” column on the far right side of this homepage for the most up-to-date issues in food-related legislation and see how you can help.
- www.seedsofdeception.com – free audio and video lectures on GMO’s
- www.responsibletechnology.org – petition to President Obama to request mandatory labeling of GE foods. Excellent, easy to understand 6 page Q and A about GMO’s. Non-GMO shopping guide.
- www.thecampaign.org – grassroots action for the mandatory labeling of GMO foods.
- www.globaljusticeecology.org – campaign to stop development and planting of GE trees and to ban the patenting of living organisms and their offspring.
- www.safefoodandfertilizer.org – advocates for a ban on the legal use of hazardous waste in fertilizer
- www.libertyark.net – information on the National Animal Identification System (NAIS)
- www.farmandranchfreedom.org – also information on the NAIS
- www.foodfirst.org – world hunger issues
- www.organicconsumers.org – has an e-newsletter and loads of information on the above topics
- www.nongmoproject.org – setting verifiable standards to test and label GE foods in the marketplace.
- www.whitehouse.gov – see agenda – rural and technology
- www.youtube.com – search for free videos on GMO’s, seed patenting, etc.
ALSO, check your local library and bookstore for information.
- Genetically Engineered Food – A Self Defense Guide for Consumers by Ronnie Cummins and Ben Lilliston 2204
- Altered Harvest, Agriculture, Genetics and the Fate of the World’s Food Supply by Jack Doyle 1985
- The Food Revolution – How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and the World by John Robbins
- Fateful Harvest: The True Story of a Small Town, a Global Industry, and a Toxic Secret by Duff Wilson
- www.mirandaproductions.com or 303-546-0880 to purchase the film My Father’s Garden
Available on Netflix at www.netflix.com :
- The Future of Food
- Food Inc.
- Dirt! The Movie
- Fed Up
- The Gerson Miracle
- Deconstructing Supper
- King Corn
- What’s on Your Plate?
- To Market to Market to Buy a Fat Pig
- The Real Dirt on Farmer John
- Food Fight
- Our Daily Bread
- Food Beware: The French Organic Revolution
- The Botany of Desire